(Tonight's New Year's Eve concert starts at 9. It's also sold out, but you might be able to buy tickets through Craigslist.)
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
(Tonight's New Year's Eve concert starts at 9. It's also sold out, but you might be able to buy tickets through Craigslist.)
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Rich & Bennett's popular NYE bash is already sold out, but you're in luck -- I scored two tickets to give away to one lucky reader.
Friday, December 19, 2008
My last blog about Nix Burger & Brew received a large number of negative comments about the new uptown restaurant that opened just last week.
Owner Nick LaVecchia sent me an e-mail today addressing some of the concerns.
In short, have patience, people. We should be rooting for all businesses to succeed right now.
Friday, December 12, 2008
NIX Burger & Brew opens tonight at the corner of Fifth and Tryon streets, offering a rare mid-range option for dining uptown.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
It's nice to know that after a year of covering Charlotte's nightlife, I can still be surprised by things I see during my party travails around town.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Here's an updated list of parties to ring in the new year. Know of others? Send me an e-mail with all the details. I'll be updating this list throughout the month, so check back weekly.
- For those of you teetotalers out there, First Night Charlotte is back. For the first time since 1995, the nationally branded New Year's Eve festivities will kick off in the Square (Trade and Tryon streets) at 7 p.m. Dec. 31. Ring in '09 with the Charlotte Dance Festival, SlamCharlotte, Charlotte Blues Society All-Star Band, Sweetbriar Jam bluegrass band, The Fettuccini Brothers juggling comedy group, Gay Men's Chorus of Charlotte and more. Bring a friend, bring the kids (free for those under 12), but don't bring the booze - it's alcohol-free. An FNC button is $10 and gets you into most events. Get it here.
- Make-A-Wish and the Charlotte City Club are teaming up for the Enchanted Evening Ball -- a gowns-and-coattails-required event. The swanky fete includes hor d'ouevres, live entertainment, a champagne toast, silent art auction and raffle prizes. If you've always wanted to see how Charlotte looks from the city club, this is your chance -- if you can afford the $150 ticket price (or $250 for VIP). Open bar and complimentary parking included. Ticket sales end Dec. 26. Get 'em here.
- Party promoters Rich and Bennett -- regular staples on the nightlife circuit -- are hosting a New Year's Eve bash at the new Common House in Plaza Midwood. The party will serve as the grand opening for the restaurant and features an open bar from 9 p.m.-2 a.m., a full dinner buffet from Hawthorne's Pizza, a champagne toast at midnight and music by DJ Kadence. The event has sold out the past five years, so get your tickets early. Pricing is $60 for women if you attend a pre-pay event or $65 online; $80/$85 for men. More info on pre-pay events here.
- Suite hosts New Year's Eve "Extravagance," a night of Absolut Excellence and Lavishness. Starts at 9 p.m. Advance tickets are $30, on sale Dec. 17 at the club. Private suites available to reserve. Champagne toast and cash balloon drop. Music by DJ Nova.
- Whisky River hosts its first New Year's bash. The night includes heavy hors d'ouevres, continental breakfast buffet, champagne toast and party favors. VIP booth/table packages start at $700. General admission tickets are $25 and available here.
- Howl in the New Year at the EpiCentre's dueling rock 'n' roll piano bar, Howl at the Moon. The deluxe party package at $60 per person gets you a full catered Italian dinner and a reserved table starting at 6 p.m. Standing-room only tickets are available for $25 after 8 p.m.
- Dixie's Tavern is hosting a New Year's Mardi Gras bash. Champagne toast and party favors are included. Booths are available to reserve. The upper area of the bar has three booths available for $100 each, which includes tickets for four people. The lower level has five booths available for $150 each, which includes six tickets. Individual tickets are available for $15 each. Click here.
- Rusty Rudder will celebrate New Year's at the lake. Live music. Starts at 10 p.m. $10 cover.
- Jokers Dueling Piano Bar in Mooresville. Dinner buffet, champagne toast and party favors. Entertainment by Keith, Matt and Nathan Carter with special guest Maysameth. Drink specials. $35 tickets.
- Tommy Ray and the Rayguns and Hick'ry Hawkins will play the New Year's Eve Bash at Puckett's Farm. Music starts at 8:30 p.m. $5 cover. More info here.
- Flying Saucer Draught Emporium's annual bash will feature live music from Jay Mathey and his band and a champagne toast at midnight. Admission is $5 for U.F.O. club members or $10 for nonmembers. Reservations, which include a bottle of champagne and a disposable camera, are available for $40 a booth or $60 for a table. Party starts at 7 p.m. Customers with reservations must arrive by 9 p.m.
- The Old Courthouse Theatre presents New Year's Eve Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre and Silent Auction at Lowe's Motor Speedway. In addition to trying to solve the murder mystery, the night includes food, wine, champagne, cash bar and silent auction with art, gift baskets, gift certificates and sports memorabilia. Proceeds benefit the Old Courthouse Theatre. Tickets are $75 per person or $150 per couple.
- Coyote Joe's will be celebrating the new year, country style. Cash giveaways all night. $10 cover includes champagne toast and line-dancing until your boots fall off. Starts at 7 p.m.
- Alley Cat presents Rockin' New Year's Eve 2009. U-Phonik will perform live along with DJ Tech Support. Complimentary party favors. 18 and up. Tickets are $15 and available here.
- The Forum's NYE bash will feature three areas of sound: 80s/90s/Rock/Hip-Hop/Electro in the main room with Dirty Thirty & Frenzy; Latin House, Bachata, Reggaeton and more from DJ's Sensation and 3mendo in Pravda Lounge; and Progressive, Electro, and Fidget House and Trance with DJ Kevin Focus on the Roof Garden. $30 tickets available here.
- BlackFinn pSponsor Parties' 12th Annual New Year's Eve Party at BlackFinn Saloon. Open bar, buffet, champagne toast, party favors and a $10 voucher for a future visit to BlackFinn. Tickets are $80-$99 available here.
- InnerCircle Events presents a Voyage to Monte Carlo at Ballantyne Resort's Le Chateau de Lodge. Complimentary buffet, theater screen televising a live feed from New York's Times Square, music from DJ Paradime. Starts at 7 p.m. Cocktail attire. $35 tickets available here.
- The Sunset Club promises you'll party in style at its formal party that celebrates 1920 and 2009. Come dressed in 1920s attire or in your current modern upscale threads. The party starts at 8 p.m. in 1920s style with a live big band. As midnight approaches, the party will transform into 2009 with DJ Rowshay. $125 includes open bar, heavy hors d'ouevres, live music, DJs and a champagne toast. Tickets can only be purchased in advance. None will be sold at the door. Click here for tickets.
- Charlotte Salsa is hosting a Latin Party at the Crowne Plaza for New Year's Eve. The goal for this event is to provide a place to celebrate ringing in the New Year with a formal Latin party in a friendly, family-oriented and safe environment. Music from live salsa band “The Latin Project” and DJ Psychs. Two dance floors. Live performances from Charlotte Salsa and the Charlotte Tango Society. Cash bar. Projection screen with live feeds from Times Square. Ticket prices (before Dec. 15): $45 per person, $80 per couple. After Dec. 15, tickets go up to $50/$90. On the night of the event, tickets will be available at the door for $55/$100. Teen admission price is $25. Tickets here.
- Highlighter's Singles Club (4235 W. Tyvola Road) is having a dance party. Music by Colours. Appetizers will be served. $25 in advance, $30 at the door. More info: 704-548-9212.
- Precious Promotions is hosting a party at the Big Chill. Music by R&B singer Jonathan, aka Super J, and Nashville's Ilyasin. Advance general admission tickets available for $40. VIP tickets are $85 and include light appetizers, champagne fountain, free photo, easily accessible bar and gift giveaways.
- The Sol Kitchen and Apostrophe Lounge are hosting an intimate gathering for those of you who are tired of overcrowded and expensive NYE bashes. Free food (including a dessert bar) and champagne toast. Tickets are $25 and available at the bar.
- The Comedy Zone and Embassy Suites (Concord/Speedway) present two NYE shows. The 8 p.m. early dinner/show package includes three top national comedians, a dinner buffet and cocktail service. You'll be home by 10, or you can hit other parties later in the night. The 10:15 p.m. Laff into 2009 show includes three top national comedians, party favors, a champagne toast and breakfast buffet. Tickets $85 or $150 per couple. Click here.
- NYE at Hom has DJ Wiiz Kid spinning a mash-up of your favorite tunes in Play, while Fred Everything and Johnnie Davis spin in Liv. The club is offering three different packages: general admission for $15; an all-inclusive $35 general admission ticket gets you your choice of appetizer and entree and a champagne toast (seatings at 9:30 or 10:30); the $75 all-inclusive VIP ticket gains you exclusive access to the study with a private bar (open bar until 1 a.m.), appetizer buffet, a champagne toast and a separate door entry so you don't have to wait in line. The VIP ticket is presale only. Tickets available here.
- Back to the Future Bash at The Breakfast Club -- 1989 meets 2009. Hosted by 107.9 The Link's Bandy from the "Matt & Ramona Show." Advance tickets are $20 before Dec. 30 (available at the club). Day of tickets are $25.
- NYE at Loft 1523. $75 cover includes penny drinks, champagne toast and party favors. The ticket price jumps up to $90 the week of, but the party is nearly sold out, so act fast.
- 5th annual NYE celebration at Dilworth Neighborhood Grille. Five bars, buffets upstairs and downstairs, champagine toast at midnight. DJ Method and DJ Scooter will be spinning hits from the '70s, '80s, '90s and today. Tickets are $69. Call 704-377-3808 or e-mail DNG@carolina.rr.com.
- NYE at Buckhead Saloon. Party favors, champagne toast, live music and DJ. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- The Garden & Gun Club will go back to the fabulous years with its Disco Era NYE bash. DJ Andy Kastanas will be spinning the disco and house classics all night. Party favors, champagne toast. Doors open at 9 p.m. $15 for members, $20 for guests.
- Kiss Lounge, in conjunction with Pendulum Party, celebrates NYE 2009 with a special party open only to couples and single females. Unlimited champagne and KISS shots, complimentary hors d'oeuvres. $100 per couple, $50 per single female. More info here.
- Purgatory on New Year's Eve at Amos' Southend. Music by DJ Koji, End: The DJ and Mixtress Krikett. Live performances by Filth on Demand and fetish performers. Featuring 10 fully interactive VIP fetish play areas including Dr. Spankenstein and rope suspension. Ages 18 and up. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets: $20 general admission, $25 VIP.
- The NYE party at NoDa's 28th Davidson Atrium will benefit the NoDa School of Arts. Music, treats from Amelie's Bakery, champagne toast. 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $50 and can be purchased here.
- The Art of Celebration at Stir, featuring DJ Biz Markie. Hosted by Power 98's Danny Diaz. Party favors, champagne toast, live countdown to 2009 from Times Square on the big screen. General admission $30, VIP $60. Tickets here.
- New Year's Eve at the Red Lion Tavern. Full dinner buffet, champagne toast, after-midnight breakfast buffet and live music. $25 per person. Call 704-302-1215.
- M5 celebrates New Year's in SouthPark style. Special menu. DJ spinning music all night. Full dinner menu available until 11 p.m. 4300 Sharon Road. 704-909-5500.
- Le Grande Holiday Soiree at NV Lounge. Champagne toast, $1,000 balloon drop at midnight, cash giveaways, music by DJ Supa Dave, breakfast at 2 a.m. VIP admission includes appetizer buffet and private open bar. 9 p.m. 20924 Torrence Chapel Road. $100 VIP; $25 general admission in advance, $30 at the door. www.nvlounge.net.
- BBW and BHM Masquerade Ball for the big beautiful women and big handsome men in the Charlotte area. 8 p.m. Crowne Plaza, 201 S. McDowell St. $40. E-mail email@example.com for more info.
- A New York New Year's Eve at the Pub at Gateway. Party favors, complimentary buffet, champagne toast. Music by DJ Eye-U. 8 p.m. 710 W. Trade St. $15 in advance, $20 at the door. 704-333-9818.
- Cans' New Year's Eve Celebration. Buffet, champagne toast, party favors and entertainment. 9 p.m. 500 W. Fifth St. $20 in advance, $30 at the door. Contact 773-276-7582 and ask for Kathy or Erica for details.
- Mez celebrates NYE with its first Black Tie Ball. Champagne toast, balloon drop, party favors and passed hors d'oeuvres. Limited advance tickets available for $40 online or at the restaurant/lounge.
- 2nd Annual New Year's Eve Blowout at Buckwild, featuring Angie Aparo live. Champagne toast, $5,000 balloon drop in cash and prizes. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets $10 in advance, $15 at the door.
- New Year's Eve 2009 at Bar Charlotte. Party favors, balloon drop, raffle prizes, free mechanical bull rides and a champagne toast. Ages 18 and up. $20 for those 21 and over; $25 18-20. Tickets here.
- NYE at Brick & Barrel features $5 Mason Jar drinks, live entertainment on both floors and a champagne toast. Call Aaron to RSVP and lock in no cover: 704-975-8019.
- Special couples menu at Bull & Barrister Draft House and Grille. For residents in Northwest Charlotte, you can stay close to home this NYE. The dinner special features a choice of one appetizer, one entree and one dessert per couple for $17.99 per person. DJ Wizard will be providing the music starting at 9:30 p.m. Champagne toast. More info here.
Here's a list of festive fetes this month. Don't see yours on the list? Send me an e-mail with the details. Happy holidays!
- Analog Daze at the Double Door Inn. Party like a rock star with Analog Daze at this Christmas party. Food, drinks and live music. 8-midnight. Info here.
- Pet PALS Holiday Bash at Suite. 7-9:30 p.m. $15 at the door (includes one drink ticket). Proceeds benefit the Humane Society of Charlotte.
- Holiday Happy Hour at Brio. Mingle with the Young Affiliates of the Mint during their monthly social with a holiday theme. 6-9 p.m. No cover.
- Gin Mill is hosting an "Appreciation, 3/4 of the way to St. Paddy's, Recession Proof Christmas Party." $1 domestics, $2 imports, $3 house liquor. Live Irish music from The Merrows. Karaoke later in the night.
- Rusty Rudder's Ugly Sweater/Naughty Santa party. Starts at 8 p.m. No cover. Karaoke. Specials include $1 Miller High Life bottles, $1.50 Coors Light drafts, $2 domestic bottles and $5 Sweet Tea Vodka drinks.
- 8th Annual Blitzen's Holiday Party. DJ spinning holiday tunes. Passed appetizers and drink specials. Silent auction features spa packages, a trip for two, and gift certificates to area restaurants and retail stores. 6-10 p.m. at BlackFinn Saloon. $5. Portion of proceeds benefit American Red Cross. Get your tickets here.
- Cans Bad Sweater Party. Bring out your ugliest sweater (holiday-themed preferred) and win a prize for worst sweater. $4 Skyy Red Bull, $2 Swill of the Month. Music from DJ Stix. Starts at 9 p.m.
- The Gathering: A Soulful Xmas Party, hosted by Consuella and Brittney Cason. Collecting toys for toys for tots, canned goods and handbags for Bags of Love. Music by The Sol Kitchen and DJ DR. Starts at 10 p.m. at Alive in NoDa. $10 cover.
- Sunset's Ugliest Christmas Sweater Party. Dig out that old ugly Christmas sweater your grandma once gave you and make it pay off. The club is giving away a free VIP section and bottle service to the one that has the most tacky holiday sweater. Starts at 10 p.m.
- Naughty or Nice/Sexy Santa party at Bar Charlotte. Sexiest Santa wins $500 cash. No cover if you bring an unwrapped toy to donate to Toys for Tots. Starts at 9 p.m.
- Blue Santa Benefit Party at Blue Restaurant. $3 drafts, $6 martinis. Live music from the Presley Brothers. Proceeds benefit the Second Harvest Food Bank. $5 cover without a canned food item. Free with a food donation.
- Executive Entertainment presents The Black Affair, a Christmas Party at Grand Central Events on Central Avenue. More info here.
- Matzo Ball Party. Forum, along with the Society of Young Jewish Professionals hosts a party for all those who aren't celebrating Christmas Eve. SYJP offers men and women ages 21-49 the opportunity to develop networking connections, long-lasting friendships and romantic relationships. 9 p.m. $30 at the door or online here.
- Queen City Hollywood at the Blake Hotel. Enjoy two ballrooms with different music (pop, hip-hop and old school in one, a live jazz band in the other). Complimentary hors d'oeuvres. Gift bags and over $2,000 in giveaways. Hosted by Power 98's Consuella and Ife Moore. Guests include Bobby Valentino, Ryan Leslie, Wali Rainer, Aaron Brooks, Angelo Crowell and Dre Bly. Tickets are $35. Click here.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
An employee at Whisky River was arrested as he arrived for work Tuesday night at the EpiCentre bar in uptown.
More than 4,000 people turned out to Time Warner Cable Arena on Tuesday night with gifts in hand.
- Kill the fluorescent lights in the concourse at the arena. The lights were unforgiving and took away from the festive atmosphere. Hint: Ladies love Christmas twinkle lights. They make everyone look gorgeous.
- Add a dress code to invites. I saw people in a broad range of outfits, from summer-weight dresses to women in full prom hair and makeup and full-length gowns. Cocktail attire seems appropriate for a holiday party. Although I have to give kudos to the three brave men in jaunty Christmas sweaters.
- More bars! I saw a comment on a web site before I went along the lines of "You know how long you have to wait for a drink at SSS..." And while we're on the subject of adding stuff, more coat check areas are needed. My friends waited at least 20 minutes just to check their coats. Total buzzkill.