Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Celebrity no-shows?

I was warned before I set out to cover the CIAA party scene: "You know the celebrities only show up for five minutes, right?"

But what about the no-shows, for whom people paid upwards of $60 to see?

R. Kelly was one of them, according to my colleague Kelvin. Apparently so was Tank, whose party was thrown by the same promoter as R. Kelly.

Lil' Kim showed up though, I hear. As did Yung Joc and MC Lyte.

Morris Chestnut, Idris Elba and Keith Sweat made blink-and-you'll-miss-them appearances.

I went to check out the Floyd Mayweather day party Friday only to find it shut down a couple of hours early.

Were you one of the CIAA fans who didn't get their money's worth at celebrity hosted parties? I want to hear from you. Send me an e-mail at saarthun@charlotteobserver.com.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

R' Kelly? Why would anyone pay money to see a child molester?

Anonymous said...

Why would any celebrity bother coming to Charlotte?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why anyone would pay to simply see a celebrity. If they're performing, obviously that's different; but if you just want to see them, the Internet is free and there's plenty to see there. I've met plenty of celebrities in my life, but I've never paid to meet any of them; I just happened to be where they were, at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I am not sure why anyone would pay to see a celebrity at a club. Especially knowing that in a city like Charlotte, the B or C list celebrity doesnt even want to be there and is just there because he/she got paid. Go to any trendy bar/club in NYC and you have a good chance of sitting next to and talking to an A lister for free.

Anonymous said...

Who is Tank? Or Yung Joc? Or MC Lyte? Or Morris Jenkins, or any of these "celebrities"?

People pay money to be in the same room as someone famous? Thats pathetic. Most famous people aren't worth hanging out with anyway. They should pay you to be seen with them, so it looks like they're popular.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte is lame. Somebody needs to come here or do something, anything, to spice this city up.

Anonymous said...

Just curious if anyone knows if Jermaine Dupri and Janet Jackson showed up at Jillians for the party they were supposed to host...anyone attend?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anon:

I heard that Morris Jenkins did show up, but he runs hot and cold.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anon:

I heard that Morris Jenkins did show up, but he runs hot and cold.

March 5, 2008 7:47 PM

Now That's Funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah please ignore these responses because the people that responded probably didn't attend any CIAA events. Probably stay home and type on their computers.