Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I relived the 80s Tuesday night.

I was invited to attend the opening night of "The Wedding Singer" on Tuesday, and, as a musical geek, I eagerly accepted.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I grew up with the traditional musicals: "Guys and Dolls," "My Fair Lady," "Oklahoma," and "The Sound of Music."

But I found the stage adaptation of the hit Adam Sandler movie to be harmless entertainment with an energetic cast (if just a little too long).

The audience skewed older -- the first four rows looked to be in their 60s, and I didn't know how they would react to the sexual content, pop music references and winks from keyboard player George. But they were the ones to start the standing ovation.

After the show, my friends and I checked out Club Blume's opening night party at -- appropriately enough -- The Breakfast Club. Club Blume started a little over a year ago to bring together young people in their 20s and 30s who enjoy performing arts. It's part of a growing trend of arts-affiliated youth groups -- e.g. the Young Affiliates of the Mint and the Opening Night Insiders.

The party had a great food spread and cast members (looking unrecognizable without their 80s wigs) mingled with club members.

Best part about Club Blume? It's free. Check out more info here.

0 comments: