A reader called me Thursday explaining that she and her friend are recently divorced and have been out of the nightlife scene for 20 years. She was looking for places to go after work on Fridays where the over 40 crowd hangs out. Here's what I told her:
- Blue Restaurant uptown. Great food, great service and live jazz most nights.
- Sir Edmond Halley's in Park Road Shopping Center. For a neighborhood vibe.
- Sullivan's in South End. I went there Thursday for its happy hour (steak for just $5!) and by the time I left, 30- and 40-somethings were streaming into the bar looking for a table. If you go, take the lightrail to avoid the jammed-up parking lot.
- Mickey and Mooch in the Arboretum. The bar is always hopping.
- And finally, Villa Antonio's Ballantyne location. The bar area is filled with divorcees dancing to oldies from the live band. It's a wild party.