Many of you have asked for a revised opening date for Chima.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
The Get Out and Vote Tour stopped in Charlotte on Monday and rocked Amos' Southend.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Guys will no longer get a peep show when they use the restroom at The Sunset Club.
- Dell Curry, who was accompanied by his wife, Sonya (but no Stephen). Curry was honored for his work with Athletes United for Youth, a group he founded in 2006 with Steve Smith and Jay Bilas.
- Dr. Ophelia Garmon-Brown, a physician who works closely with the Salvation Army Women and Children's Shelter, the Charlotte Community Health Free Clinic and other free clinics in the region.
- Sue Gorman (accompanied by husband Peter), who founded Parent University, an effort between parents and CMS to help parents become partners in their child's education.
It was an entirely different evening over at the Gravedigger's Ball.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Gay Bingo made a triumphant return to Charlotte on Saturday with a sell-out crowd of more than 2,100 people -- its largest turnout yet.
Friday, October 17, 2008
- The movie theater is set to open mid-November, Ghazi said last night.
- Strike City, the upscale bowling alley/bar/lounge, has a scheduled opening date of Dec. 15.
- Also coming soon is Mez, a new restaurant adjoining the movie theater that is set to open around Thanksgiving weekend.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Halloween is quickly approaching and the parties are already starting. Here are some highlights. (If you know of other parties, shoot me the details in an e-mail. I'm looking for a variety of events to attract a diverse crowd.)
- Haunted Nights Bar Crawl hosted by Elevate. No covers, transportation to and from each location on the Ragin Party Pus, free beer on the bus and tons of giveaways. Pickup at 6:30 p.m. at Dilworth Neighborhood Grille. $10. Get your tickets here.
- The 24th Annual Halloween Thriller Costume Ball. Costumes are highly encouraged. The party will be held at The Big Chill, 911 E. Morehead St. $10 for those in costume, $20 otherwise. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- "It" girl Katy Perry will headline this year's Gravedigger's Ball. Bundle up because the Dixie's parking lot gets cold, regardless of how much alcohol you consume. A prize of $1,500 will be awarded for best costume. Ages 18 and up welcome. Doors open at 6 p.m. 301 E. Seventh St. $15. Tickets here.
- Rich and Bennett (of St. Patty's Day fame) are organizing their 8th Annual Halloween Pub Crawl, promising more bars than ever before. Prizes will be awarded for best individual and group costumes. Registration starts at Dixie's at 1:30 p.m. $20 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Whisky River kicks off its Whisky Ween activities with a sexiest costume contest. $300 cash prize.
- Whisky's second night of Halloween festivities is a 1950s Vaudeville night. Wear your best '50s-era/pin-up costumes. Fashion and hair show will be presented by Bella Lago and the Red Door. $500 in prizes for best '50s fashions. $5,000 in raffle prizes benefitting the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
- This year's CarnEVIL will be a two-night event at Amos' Southend. Entertainment includes live music, Big Momma's House of Burlesque and a zombie fashion show. 8 p.m. 1423 S. Tryon St. Tickets are $25 in advance, $35 at the door.
- NV Lounge is going all out for its 3rd Annual Boo Bash on Oct. 31. Best costume wins $1,000 (you must register for the costume contest before 11 p.m.). Creepy drink specials all night. Doors open at 9 p.m. 20924 Torrence Chapel Road. Tickets are $15.
- Guys with Ties is throwing its 3rd Annual Monster Mash at Cans. Proceeds will go toward The Bethlehem Center. 8 p.m. 500 W. Fifth St. $10 cover.
- Monster Cash Costume Bash at Whisky River. $1,500 for first place in costume contest.
- Rocky Horro-ween. A screening of the movie musical, complete with live actors animating the show, costume contest with cash prize, audience participation and complimentary buffet and bloody punch. 18 and up welcome. $15 in advance, $20 at the door. Tickets here.
Common Market, the popular deli/coffee shop/wine bar/general store in Plaza Midwood is opening a second location this fall.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
First sweet-tea flavored vodka and now hickory smoked cocktails?
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Some marquee names are playing the intimate Amos' Southend this month, it was announced today.
Monday, October 13, 2008
A wine bar just opened in Dilworth's Latta Pavilion, but if you don't live in one of the condos above it, you might not even know it's there. It's not visible from the street and there's no sign out yet, so when you do stumble across it, it's like stepping foot in a Prohibition-era speakeasy.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
- Anna Kooiman, co-anchor of Fox News Rising.
- Lauri Wilks, executive vice president of Lowe's Motor Speedway.
- Sonny Gur, co-owner of The Sunset Club and Kiss Lounge.
- Jeff Wise, executive director of the National Whitewater Center.
- Joey Hewell, fashion editor for Uptown and owner of J. Studio Salon.
- Brotha' Fred of Fox News Edge and 96.1 The Beat fame.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Therapy Marketplace and Cafe is preparing to do some major remodeling as it expands into an empty space next door.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Add Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar to the growing list of steakhouses in the Charlotte region.
Wine Day Wednesdays has a new name -- Wine Day Fridays.